The Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2017 is an interesting set of results. Here are some of my personal observations (based on technologies I care about / work with / am interested to work with).
Some definitions first:
Loved: % of developers who are developing with the language or technology and have expressed interest in continuing to develop with it
Dreaded: % of developers who are developing with the language or technology but have not expressed interest in continuing to do so
I quote directly:
- Redis and PostgreSQL are the most loved databases. I can understand why.
- 63% of Oracle developers dread it.
- MySQL and SQLite are both at around 50% on the Dreaded / Wanted polls
- Amongst the most loved platforms are: (1). Linux desktop (70%), (3). AWS (65%) and (7). Microsoft Azure (61%) [Azure was surprising to me (my experience with Azure relative to AWS was not great]
- 70% of Salesforce developers dread it. What do people develop on Salesforce? I use it as a CRM, and for project management.
- 64% of Wordpress developers dread it. I can imagine.
Frameworks, Libraries and Other Technologies
- 62% of Node.js developers love it (this is around the highest love anyone got in this category)
- 60 % of Spark developers love it and 40% dread it
- 50% of Hadoop developers dread it